Buying a home with a low down payment
Think it’s impossible to buy a home unless you have 20% saved up? Maybe not. Low down payment options may be more common than you think—if you know where to look.
- Maximum income and loan amount limits apply. Fixed-rate mortgages (no cash out refinances), primary residences only. Certain property types are ineligible. Maximum loan-to-value (“LTV”) is 97%, and maximum combined LTV is 105%. For LTV >95%, any secondary financing must be from an approved Community Second Program. Homebuyer education may be required. Other restrictions apply.
Freddie Mac and Home Possible are registered trademarks of Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC), known as Freddie Mac.
- Monthly Mortgage Insurance Premiums (MIP) and Upfront Mortgage Insurance Premiums (UFMIP) apply. Maximum loan amounts vary by county.
- VA funding fee applies except as may be exempted by VA guidelines. The fee is higher with a zero down payment, and maximum loan limits vary by county. If a down payment of 5% or more is made, the fee is reduced. The VA funding fee is non-refundable. Ask for details about eligibility, documentation and other requirements.
- Down payment and/or closing cost assistance programs may not be available in your area. Down payment and/or closing cost assistance amount may be due upon sale, refinance, transfer, repayment of the loan, or if the senior mortgage is assumed during the term of the loan. Some programs require repayment with interest and borrowers should become fully informed prior to closing. Not all applicants will qualify. Minimum credit scores may apply. Sales price restrictions and income requirements may apply. Homebuyer education may be required. Owner-occupied properties only. Maximum loan amounts may apply.
- Pre-qualification is neither pre-approval nor a commitment to lend; you must submit additional information for review and approval.
Credit and collateral are subject to approval. Terms and conditions apply. This is not a commitment to lend. Programs, rates, terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.